Use acetone-free products. This is almost never a good idea. According to Dr. Wolfe, "acetone" (often found in nail paint remover) is shockingly damaging to both lenses and plastic glasses frames if left on the surface for too long. It's also flammable. The only reason this isn't worse is because your eyes are protected by the skin around them.
Your best option is to buy disposable cleaning wipes at your local store. They're affordable, effective, and safe for your glasses.
If you have to use something stronger, like alcohol or denatured alcohol, then be sure to wear gloves when working with your glasses.
It's important to act quickly when you need to remove acetone from your environment. It's toxic if it comes into contact with your skin, so don't let it get onto your clothes. If you go into shock when exposed to acetone, you could suffer serious health problems. Exposure through inhalation alone can cause lung damage.
The effects of low levels of exposure are not known with certainty, but they're likely to be similar to those of high levels. Based on this information, we can assume that low levels of exposure will not be harmful, while higher levels may be.
Acetone should never be put on plastic parts as it dissolves most paints and plastics. A lens cleaning solution such as that in the Microscope Cleaning Kit works well for cleaning lenses. Do not use water, alcohol, or acetone as the oil is insoluble in these solvents.
If you do need to use acetone to clean your microscope lens, wear protective clothing and equipment to avoid inhaling the acetone vapor.
You can remove hardened grease from glass with isopropyl alcohol. Alcohol will dissolve both oils and fats, removing both hardened grease and old lubricants. Avoid contact with eyes. If you are working with an older microscope, there may be brass fittings inside the tube that hold the lens in place. These cannot be removed with soap and water. Instead, use sandpaper wrapped around a pencil or similar object. This will roughen the surface of the fitting so that it will release from the tube when you remove it from the microscope.
To clean metal parts, wash them in warm, soapy water and dry immediately after washing. Use a soft brush to get into hard-to-reach places. For gold parts, test a small area first to make sure they will not be damaged by the cleaner. Use caution not to get any liquid into the eye. Follow all safety instructions included with your microscope kit.
Using Acetone to Clean Glass These should be used cautiously since they might be damaging to the glass. Always wipe the glass afterward to thoroughly eliminate the solvent. Avoid using razor blades to remove genuine wax accumulation, as this may permanently harm the glass.
Acetone is a toxic chemical and can be harmful if not used properly. It is flammable and irritates skin and lungs. The vapor from acetone is irritating to the eyes and may cause headaches or nausea. Acetone is highly toxic to fish and other aquatic life. It is best to wear protective clothing when working with acetone.
As with any chemical, there are risks involved when using acetone. Some of these risks include skin irritation, respiratory problems, blindness, and nerve damage. Regular use of personal care products containing acetone may also lead to dry skin, hair, and nails.
If you are going to use acetone to clean glass, it is important to do so in a well-ventilated area and with proper protection. The vapor of acetone is very dangerous for your health, so take all necessary precautions.
The acetone will not damage the glass. It will screw with the tinting, but that is what you are attempting. If you've been painting your windows and some paint has gotten on the glass, dab some nail polish remover over it with a towel and let it sit for a few minutes to remove it.
Acetone is used as a solvent for removing paint and other materials from glass, wood, plastic, metal, or ivory. It can also be used as an antiseptic agent. The acetone in nail polish removers removes the top layer of paint without damaging the glass underneath. It does this by breaking down the paint into smaller pieces that dissolve in the solvent.
Acetone was originally discovered by Henry Ford who used it to take care of handprints in his car windows.
Here are some things to consider before you put acetone in your eye:
If you get any liquid inside your eye, rinse immediately with water to avoid pain and further injury. A cornea that gets damaged due to lack of attention may need surgery to save it. If you fail to do so within 24 hours, you may lose the sight altogether.
Put the lid back on the bottle after using it. Acetone is extremely flammable and if it leaks out of its container, it can cause fire damage to objects around it.